Collector Columns & Slip Rings
Collector columns & slipring assemblies
Metreel collector columns and slipring assemblies are designed to transfer a multitude of power and control functions from a stationary to rotating or oscillating piece of equipment.
Metreel produces a comprehensive range of collector columns and sliprings. From the standard range (which can be adapted to suit specific requirements) to the special range which is designed to suit individual applications. The units can be designed to suit all environments and to accommodate special requirements, for example, fibre optic couplers and mercury transmitters.
All units are suitable for both power and control functions. CSS columns for low to medium current at low voltage, CL and CXL for low to high current at low to medium voltage. Many different sizes of slipring for differing current ratings can be accommodated in the CL and CXL columns. In addition to electrical functions, a rotary coupling can also be incorporated for oil or air supply. Special CXLH columns are also available for higher voltages up to 12KV.
Control slip rings can also be silver or gold plated with silver graphite brushes used, for example, in communication circuits and PLCs.
All collector columns are built as weatherproof units with easily removable covers for inspection and maintenance.
Collector columns and slip rings are designed to be continuously rated with a minimum of two brushes on each ring and meet the requirements of all current international standards.
The Metreel range of slip ring assemblies is produced in phosphor bronze or brass with suitable insulators between each ring. Each ring is fitted with at least two copper graphite brushes held in contact by self-adjusting, spring-loaded caliper-type brush holders, which ensure positive contact at all times. Where low contact resistance and low noise levels are required, silver-plated rings can be supplied up to 400 microns in thickness together with silver graphite brushes. Gold-plated rings can also be provided. The brushgear of the larger rings is simple to remove due to the split construction of the mounting clamp, thus enabling easy replacement. Air gaps and creep distances are in general compliance with BS5424 Part 1 (IEC158) at 500 volts. Slipring friction (excluding mounting arrangements, etc) is approximately 0.073 Nm per ring for the smaller rings and a maximum of 0.5 Nm for the larger type.
|Continuous Current Rating (Amps)
CSS Collector Columns
Metreel CSS collector columns are manufactured mainly from aluminium fabrications, incorporating sealed for life bearings with enclosures manufactured generally in accordance with IP65 and are suitable for continuous rotation. A simple peg with adequate clearance should be used to rotate the housing via the drive connection. Power feed to the housing should be via cable or conduit.
Self-regulating anti-condensation heaters can be fitted in the base of the column. If required please supply details of the heater supply voltage and whether the housing cover or mounting flange will be rotating.
- All steel components are zinc plated and clear passivated.
- Standard covers are fabricated from aluminium and Top Entry covers are from mild steel and then over painted.
- Mounting flanges for all CSS columns are fabricated from mild steel with medium to larger units having bearing housings of aluminium.
- Cable entry is via a nylon gland on the small unit and via detachable plate on the medium unit.
- All external fasteners are manufactured from stainless steel.
- A range of standard and special paint finishes are available.
A range of top entry collector columns are also available with 8 rings as standard, sizes above this can be accommodated with a special design request.
CL, CXL & Special Applications
A range of heavy duty, extra heavy duty and special application collector columns for a virtually unlimited capacity of sliprings up to 600 amps and voltages of up to 12,000volts.
- Rotates on low friction sealed for life ball races.
- Control and low power rings can be internally wired to terminals blocks for ease of connection, high power and HV rings are provided with suitable connection point to facilitate direct connection of incoming wiring.
- Removeable gland plates supplied for incoming cables to brush gear.
- Readily adaptable to accept various mountings.
- Twin leg caliper type self-adjusting brush gear, easily removeable due to split construction of mounting clamp.
- Anti-condensation heaters available.
- Casings fabricated from steel and available in Stainless Steel, Hot Dip Galvanised, Zinc Plated or Powdercoat.
- Removeable covers for easy inspection.
- Unit can be manufactured to suit a variety of environments, including flameproof versions, hazardous area and highly corrosive locations.
- Perspex viewing windows can be fitted in access covers.
Get in touch with an expert
Need a bit of help? We’re happy to provide some free advice about your collector column needs.